As C.S. Lewis says, “Experience… the most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.”
Having been a full time coach for seven years now, and immersing myself in what truly makes the difference in people’s lives, I want to give you my “Transformation Framework” that EXPERIENCE has proven creates lasting change.
This framework will take you from A-Z in the process of truly creating transformation in someone’s life.
The end result: You I.G.N.I.T.E their soul, their heart, and the core truth!
THEREFORE, THE FRAMEWORK IS IN THE ACRONYM:
I – IDENTIFY
You cannot move anyone from point A to point B without identifying their model of the world first. In this stage you are an investigator with ferocious curiosity.
The best way to influence someone is to find out what already influences them!
This is where you become a “master questioner,” and you’re gaining ultimate rapport because your client needs to know you understand them!
Some of what you might be looking for: what influences them, what they REALLY want, what they value, what they fear, what are their rules, what is their identity, what is their environment, what is their “story”, etc.
If you’re doing any in-person coaching, this is also where you might be looking for their representational systems (a more advanced topic) through their physiology and language. But even if coaching via phone, matching and mirroring someone’s communication style is an ultimate rapport builder, and will allow you to influence your client more effectively.
People like people who are like themselves!
G – GET LEVERAGE AND PERMISSION
If your client is facing a challenge, but has zero desire to move from where they are, no amount of coaching is going to work. You must have leverage to be influential.
Change is never a matter of ability, but always a matter of motivation.
So, we do two things before any change work can happen. We must discover resources that will commit them to solving their problem (leverage). And we want to ask permission from our clients if they want our help to change NOW.
KEYS TO THIS PROCESS:
- The greatest leverage comes from wherever they have IMMEDIATE pain NOW, and IMMEDIATE pleasure NOW.
- Knowing the person’s highest values is usually where you’ll find the greatest emotion.
- Realize you are NOT serving the client if you let them out of totally associating to their pain. That’s ultimately what will move them, so you want to identify it, associate them with it, and even enhance it in a future setting if they don’t change NOW.
SOME BASIC QUESTIONS CAN INCLUDE:
- If you don’t do this, what will it mean?
- If you don’t change this, what will it cost you?
- What is missing? What are you missing out on now and in the future?
- Who will the pattern or behavior hurt?
N – NEW OUTCOMES
Once the person is committed to their change, the next step is for THEM to identify what they’d rather be thinking, feeling, or experiencing instead.
The goal in the new outcome stage is that they feel their change is not only possible, but they have a new destination that’s solvable and realistic for them.
Make sure they are crystal clear about their new desired outcome. You may have to help them with this by asking some great questions.
Most people focus so much on what they don’t want, they aren’t clear about what they DO want.
I – INNER WORK
This stage is where you’re doing the internal work to help tip the switch for real, long lasting change.
The end outcome in this stage is replacing the old belief, identity, story, meaning, pattern, strategy or emotion with a new one that serves the client better. This work is all “under the surface” since our external results are always a result of our core beliefs or inner framework.
I believe the best tools for this comes from NLP (Neuro-Lingustic Programming). I facilitate a coaching for coaches’ course all over the country on this topic because there are no problems I’ve ever encountered that cannot be cleared through NLP work. But it obviously takes practice and dedication to master these skills.
T – TEST AND CONNECT
Now you have moved your client from what doesn’t work, and they have new distinctions and awareness for a new outcome.
So, here we want to test the congruency of the new idea, emotion, identity, pattern, thoughts, etc..
Any thought or emotion that you condition enough will become a HABIT.
Examples to test:
- Can you imagine a time in the future when you might be in a similar situation, and what happens?
- How differently would you be living your life with this new change/distinction etc..?
- What would be different from this point on while you’re living in this place?
You also want to connect them to a higher purpose by them making this change. Typically, people will do more for others, than they will for themselves. And especially if their new identity is wrapped into THEIR mission, or the reason they’re on this planet! Whew… you’ve hit a homerun if you can truly connect them on this level.
E – EMPOWER TO SUCCEED
Even when people have significant internal shifts, they often don’t prepare themselves to KEEP the changes going forward. It’s crucial for us as coaches to empower them up to succeed by having some kind of action plan, accountability, execution strategy, or reporting any forward movement.
This is where your role as a coach is like a fitness trainer. You’re holding them accountable for something to be done in between your sessions, or interactions.
- Depending on the situation or challenge your client is facing, there are times you will go through this process in five minutes, and times it can take hours.
- It’s important you don’t think of intervention work as a step-by-step process while you’re going through it. It’s an art you practice. Sometimes you’ll go in the exact I.G.N.I.T.E. framework, and other times you’ll find you might be in the middle of “Inner Work” and then retreat back to “Getting Leverage.” Key is to be PRESENT! Embody this process as a framework, not as a rule.
- Please keep in mind: I do full immersion courses over an entire year to master this process. This is an introduction to a framework I know works! If you want to learn this on a deeper level, please email me directly.